Friday, May 6, 2011

Interlaken, Switzerland

We got into Interlaken late at night since it was a 4 hour drive through the mountains, at one point we went into a tunnel through a mountain that was about a mile long. We were able to drive through Lichtenstein, just to say we did.

Hadley helping us plan our day

We had planned on going up to the rotating restauarant at the top of the Schlithorn that was in the 007 movie but it was closed for the three days we were there for maintainance. We decided to spend the morning walking around Interlaken instead.

Mountains from the center of town

There were flowers everywhere

Jamie checking out the Swiss watches and eating the best overall ice cream of the trip

We then headed about 20 minutes to Diemtigen, it is where Jamie's paternal side is from a few generations back

It was beautiful
I have to admit that high in the mountains, mountains on every side and the cold would not be my first pick of where to live, but the town was beautiful and had so much character.

We had walked by a chocolate shop that offered a class at night, Jamie insisted that I attend and he would walk Hadley around. A chocolatier taught an hour class about basic chocolate making skills and showed us a few moulding techniques. It was stuff I had mostly done at work but was still really fun and amazing to take it where some of the best chocolate in the world is made.

The next day we decided to go up to the Jungfrau, the top of Europe! The top of the mountain was a bit cloudy but the trip up was clear and sunny.

Since the trip is so steep it takes a special train to make it up to the top
We took so many pictures on the trip, everything was right out of a picture book


Starting to get up to the top of the mountain


First thing we did was stop for lunch. Fondue overlooking the mountain, it was delicious!! and a huge pot, I ate until I couldn't eat anymore.

Top of the Jungfrau

Ice cave, it was one of my favorite sights on the trip. It was at the top of the mountain and the whole thing was made entirely of ice.
Favorite sculpture, loved the penguins

Heading back down in the train after a long, good day

We caught up on the Royal Wedding when we got back to our hotel room, I was a little sad we couldn't say we were in England but we just couldn't resist all of the holidays (with Easter and the Wedding, Jamie took 3 days vacation for a 10 day trip). The next day we would drive 4.5 hours up through Zurich back to Germany.

1 comment:

WenMo said...

I love the photos of Hadley and Jamie with the tulips and you and Hadley enjoying fondue. In the tulips photo, Hadley's expression is great, as if to say, "Check out them tulips!" In the fondue photo, she looks like she's saying, "Hey, can I have some of that?"