Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Auntie Amber and Uncle Spencer come to Visit!!

Really, this post should be titled "Ode to my Awesome Sister and Brother in Law". They were dream guests and we just loved having them! Spencer had a paper he was presenting in London and my sister was able to tag along. She hung out with us for a few days and then he joined us and they stayed another week. I had been warning my sister that Hadley was a little wary of strangers lately and I didnt know how she would react, I shouldn't have even worried bc Hadley made herself at home in Ambers lap the first thing and went and laid her head on Spencer. She pretty much wouldn't leave them alone the whole time they were here! She just adored them and her "auntie hugs" where Amber would squeeze the beegeebies out of her. I don't know if Amber looks enough like me or sounds like me? but that doesn't explain Spencer! All I know is she loved her Aunt and Uncle!


Amber couldn't even eat breakfast in peace

One of the best gifts in a long time was Amber insisted she watch Hadley while we went and saw Les Mis in London. I had really wanted to go but we havent found a babysitter we trust for that long. Amber had been the night before since her husband scored free tickets and she wouldn't take no for an answer. It was amazing! I also found a cinnabon nearby (featured in photo) I had been craving one, it was the perfect night.

Amber and Spencer were great about taking off in the morning and sight seeing and then meeting us that night for dinner. They spent a few days around Henley and Jamie took them to Stone Henge on Sunday (I stayed home, one fun side effect of pregnancy is I get carsick, although I dont normally, the winding country roads where we live are more than I can handle). The other days they went to Oxford and spent a few days in London. Hadley and I drove them just outside of London to go to Kew Gardens, it was so beautiful!! It was huge and had so many different areas to go visit and we even somehow arranged to have perfect weather.

We found this little rose paradise, we assumed we had found the rose gardens but were told later they were on the other side so we are not quite sure what this was called. It smelled divine.

Amber took so many beautiful pictures of the flowers


Hadley didn't want to miss out on the fun by sitting in the stroller and Spencer was so patient to walk her around. I love this picture.

Helping push the stroller

We really liked the conservatories, they were divided into sections like the desert, rain forest and had a cool section on carnivorous plants.

There was an exhibit where you went into the treetops, we couldnt take the stroller so I stayed at the bottom - I am the tiny person in black.

We took them to a pub, fed them scones and stayed up way too late. We were so sad to say goodbye!! We hope we can see them again soon!!

Basically since I started feeling gross we have either had guests or been traveling. We had my parents and then traveled to Germany and then had Amber and Spencer right after. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself that instead of joining in all of the fun or being the hostess I hoped to be, I was just trying to hold it together. I then realized how much of a blessing it was for Hadley - instead of being stuck home with a sick mom, she was able to be surrounded by people who love her and wanted to play with her. My parents loved just reading and entertaining her, while in Germany she loved spending every moment when her dad (and he should get a gold star for hauling a nauseous narcoleptic through Europe) and she just adored being around Amber and Spencer. I am so glad she was taken care of and my family was so understanding and encouraging. I am happy to be feeling much better, just in time for my cousins to arrive next week!

No comments: