Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Favorite Christmas Tradition


Every Monday before Christmas my family would decorate sugar cookies. My Mom would make the dough and have it chilling for when my Dad would get home, she would then go sit on her own and be the official photographer (I always felt she missed out, but now am starting to see it was probably the only quiet time she got all season!) while we would cut out the sugar cookies, bake, wait for them to cool, frost and pile sprinkles and decorations on them. I love it, I love any form of sugar so I am sure that was part of it, but I loved that we spent time together, laughed and made memories. Even as a teenager I wouldn't have missed it and as adults we all insist that we decorate cookies when we arrive.

This year Hadley was old enough, so the other day we carried on the tradition. She loved it, and I am biased, but she couldn't have been any cuter!!







I love the absolute chaos of her cookies, she loved mixing sprinkles and making a mess and we all had a great time (yes, I am still in my jammies at 7pm, but I made cookies!!). I did find out after I made a full batch that Jamie doesn't like this particular recipe (there is almond extract in them) I guess over the years there were always other people eating the cookies at my parents so I never noticed! Since I am not going to hand Hadley multiple sugar cookies, looks like it will be up to me to make sure they all get eaten...life is very hard.

1 comment:

The Mostess said...

I'm glad you're able to put your food science tendencies aside enough to let her dump sprinkles on randomly and in clumps. This is a fun family tradition--so cute in her jammers.