Wednesday, March 28, 2012

England Food Review -Honorable Mention


I said I was done with food, I lied. This is a quick list of very English desserts that you might try if you happen to run into them, but are not top priority.


Banoffee Pie - Banana + Toffee Pie. It is a biscuit/digestive crust with a layer or caramel and then a banana cream pie type layer. Extremely banana-y and quite good, if you like bananas.




Sticky Toffee Pudding or any puddings. It is a cake that is cooked and steamed in a way that creates a spongey texture and its own gooey topping. Not extremely sweet and often served with custard.
A quick note that you can refer to desserts as "puddings", typically indicating a more casual dessert. It is often shortened to "puds", but somehow that word gives me the heebie jeebies.


Dessert Yogurts. Yogurt is an art form here. You know how they tell you to feed your toddler whole milk? Well, Hadley has been living the good life with these yogurts for lunch this last year. There is actually whipping cream on the ingredients and they are divine if you love yogurt (I actually do not like yogurt in the least, but can appreciate quality when I see it)


Trifles and Mousses. They actually sell trifles like they sell Jello pudding snack packs in the states. My favorite is the chocolate mousse, cookie bits, more mousse and whipped cream, yum ! I have actually worked with pudding cups before and I haven't the foggiest how they manufacture these with such consistency, getting the air ratio right is tricky so I am very impressed. If you don't get your trifle pre made then there really isn't much of a recipe - layer some kind of cake/cookie, mousse or whipped cream and fruit if you like.





Fruit Cake. I am not recommending it, just mentioning it. I thought maybe I didn't like it because we made it wrong in the states, nope. They taste the same over here and are not at all tasty and really do last forever. I have seen cakes sold for Christmas months in advance and as far as I can tell "Christmas Puddings" is just booze soaked fruit in fruit cake. It is the traditional wedding cake, but there are often other desserts served. I assume because when I asked around nobody seemed to like the fruitcake either.

No comments: