Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 1 in Paris

For the last few years my besties and I have joked about what we would do for my 30th. When I learned we would be in another country for my birthday Jamie decided to make sure we were in Paris so I wouldn't be too sad. I have to admit that even on the train ride over I was in a dark mood - it has been cold and dreary, we have been sick and I missed my friends (alot), I just wanted to go home. I have come to believe that Paris is the solution to all woes. Paris was amazing, it was everything I hoped and more - and although it wasnt a big party, it was the perfect way to celebrate and enjoy being so close to all these wonderful countries. We are hoping to travel this summer, so far we have been living our "normal" life just in a rainy area, but we are really hoping to take advantage of where we are in the next few months! I am already researching Germany/Switzerland/Italy/Spain... So here are way to many pictures of our trip, I am now trying to figure out when we can go back!

Waiting for the train. We took the train from Henley to Paddington then the metro over to the International station and the Eurostar to Paris (only a 2.5 hour ride) and then took the metro to our hotel. We knew we would be carrying everything so we loaded up Jamies backpack and the hiking backpack you can see next to Hadley. We headed to bed and then woke up to a traditional breakfast of pastries, crepes, hot chocolate, meat and cheeses.

We started at the Louvre, it is massive so we had to pick a few big pieces we wanted to see so we didn't get lost in a section for days.
Winged Victory.

Mona Lisa


Coronation of Napoleon


Hadley just kind of took it all in as we ran around, we did the museums on the first day so she wouldn't be too worn out and we would hopefully get to see everything.

Venus


Jamie hauled Hadley+Stroller up and down countless stairs in the museums and metro, I am pretty sure he burned more calories than he took in this trip.

Middle of the Louvre, we didn't even make it into a few of the wings

Dutch Paintings, my favorite! So incredible to see them up close.

In college I ended up taking a Art History class by accident - I needed history credits to graduate and I had waited until my Senior year. I tried to get into a creativity one (I heard it was easy) and it was full, so the only other class that fit my time slot was Art. It ended up being my favorite class (outside of O-Chem) and I have been dying to see so many of the works of art in person. My mother and grandmother both have art degrees, and my sister and brother both have artistic talent...I guess my skill is to appreciate the art around me - although my mother will tell you I have have "other creative talents". The pictures in my text books don't even come close to the beauty of them in person, I just wish I had more time!

Vermeer

Outside the Louvre

Outside before heading into the Tulleries

Jamie "checking in", I would laugh when we would be in front of famous works of art and Jamie would be trying to get his internet connection to work.


We stopped at the L'Orangerie to see the Water Lilies, they were painted to be seen in a circular room and were specially displayed. It was beautiful, also fascinating to see up close that it really looks like scribbles - hard to understand how he would have known to put it all together.

Crossing the bridge to the D'Orsay, we had wonderful weather. It was still really cold but sunny, after months of rain it was perfect to us!


D'Orsay, they wouldn't let you bring in cameras but it was breathtaking. My favorite place by far, they closed a bit earlier than we expect so I didn't get nearly enough time. I have always loved impressionism but to see Degas up close was amazing. Textbooks just cant capture the detail and the way the light reflects off of the oil paint, I wanted to take it all home. I know it sounds dramatic but it was like a dream to see Degas, Renoir, Manet, Cezanne and Van Gogh up close.

We stopped at a creperie for dinner, Jamie had a potato/herb gallette and I had the tradional cheese and ham. It was delicious but quite large and a a bit too savory by the end, we finished with a lemon dessert crepe. We headed back to the hotel and to bed.

No comments: