When asked in my college Art History class what my favorite style was, I answered "Dutch". I love the light, the composition and the realism. To go see Vermeer, De Heem, Rembrandt and their pupils actually in Holland was amazing. We were able to go to the Rijksmuseum and it was under construction, this meant that they took the best paintings and put them in a smaller location - perfect for the family with two kids to quickly see the highlights!

Vermeer, it looked like the milk was actually moving and it was so serene

Rembrandt's "Night Watch"

This is one of our favorites, to keep Hadley occupied while I gushed over paintings we let her watch Winnie the Pooh on my phone. She was thrilled but I cannot wait to show her that she chose to watch cartoons instead of viewing the Masters when she complains we never take her anywhere!

This was the most awe inspiring, looked like you could touch it

The roll looks edible and I hear glass and water is one of the hardest things to paint - this looks effortless.

Our new books! I realize that the Vermeer book is a bit dry so we got this darling dutch children's book.
We then went over to the Van Gogh Museum, he was born in the Netherlands so they had a modified collection. Most of his masterpieces are in France where he did most of his work. Like the other artist museums we have seen, this one did a timeline of his development. It was fascinating to see the evolution of the artist. He was completely self taught and actually started out in the dutch style, he was wildly talented. When he spent time with other impressionists his work took a dramatic turn and you could see the influence of his peers. Unfortunately, like the other museums, this one did not allow pictures. Our last stop was the Dutch Flower Collection at the airport before catching our flight, with the museum under construction they had a collection located after the gates. Jamie took the girls while I wandered looking at pictures I had only seen in textbooks.
No comments:
Post a Comment