If this was an accurate portrayal of our lives I would have a post entitled "The Two Weeks I Lost to Jet Lag, Teething (Hadley) and Sinus Infections (Elise)". I have had less sleep that I thought possible so pretty much the last few weeks have been a blur...actually the last few months are a bit fuzzy to be honest! I realized I never posted what we decided to do when moving back, the plan shifted often so here is the final version.
We were originally supposed to come back the end of February but we decided that extending until the middle of May let us adjust to life with a second child, see a few more places and allowed Jamie to leave his team in the UK in a good spot. We also hoped that it would be a better time to find a home in CA if school was out, fingers are still cross on that point! We would then come to my parents in TX for two weeks and then go to CA where we will be in corporate housing for a month. Our moving shipment will take 6 weeks to get here and we cut it a little close on the way there so the extra two weeks at my parents would give us some cushion and allow us to get over the culture shock a bit. I know it sounds strange but there was definite culture shock on the way there and although it is less drastic I am having to adjust now that I am back in the US.
Plans shifted sometime in March when Jamie was contacted about a new client that the CA office wanted him on. They would need him the end of March, again the first week of April and he then had a business trip to Rome. I have been on my own before but with the move, the fact people were touring our house on a daily basis, the rain and we were also constantly sick we decided that I would fly home to my parents. He ended up on the team and took off to CA while I prepared to head back early. It actually was a blessing because while he was stateside his lovely Grandmother passed away and he was able to attend the funeral in Utah. He would have gone regardless, but it made it easier he was already so close. We had plans to visit her in September so she could meet Elise (who shares a birthday with her) and Hadley, we are sad we will not be able to introduce them but we are so very happy that she and Grandpa are together again.
Jamie returned to the UK after a week and we headed for a quick trip to Amsterdam and then we flew to Texas where he dropped me and the girls off and headed to CA. We miss him a lot, and it is a long time to be separated, but I still think it is the best plan for our family. He is finishing up his time in Rome tomorrow and then will return to the UK for three weeks and then come meet us. We are looking forward to 2 weeks where we don't have to worry about moving and have available babysitters!
My parents are amazing to let us stay with them for a total of 7 weeks! They have not made us feel like a burden at all and I can't say how much I appreciate them. Their house is perfect, their upstairs is basically soundproof and we feel like we have our own space. My parents have been so sweet with the girls and they have an adoring fan club, Hadley can't wait to for Grandpa to come home every night! The extra time here has also allowed me to purchase my car and finish our inventory and other paperwork. There is still a mountain of details to take care of before we are settled, but it is at least a start.
And I can say it is SO good to be back where it is warm and in the sun!! It seems the girls are enjoying themselves as well -
Jamie joins us May 16th and we head to CA the first week of June. Still trying to wrap my head around the fact we are back for good, but the Mexican food and Cherry Limeades seem to be helping. If you see a red car on the wrong side of the road when you are in Austin, please honk. Seriously.
No comments:
Post a Comment